Spinach and Feta Quiche
Ten ounces frozen, chopped spinach can also be used for this recipe. Thaw it and completely drain it before using.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 4 cups chopped spinach
- 1 deep-dish pie shell (9 inches), bottom pricked several ties with a fork
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups light cream
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Set oven to 400°F. Bake pie shell for 7 minutes, or until it turns a pale gold. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 350°F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the spinach, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until completely wilted. Add a tablespoon of water if the leaves begin to stick to pan. Drain in a colander. Use a large spoon to press spinach against colander to squeeze out the water. Roughly chop drained spinach. Spread the spinach mixture into the crust. Wipe out skillet.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Stir in onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft. Scatter over spinach in the pie crust.
- In a blender, combine eggs, cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Sprinkle cheeses evenly over the top and cover with the egg mixture.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the pie comes out clean. Serve hot or room temperature.