Spinach Lamb Curry
This dish graces menus at innumerable Indian restaurants. Serve with naan bread or brown rice.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ lb. frozen chopped spinach
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1¼ lbs. boneless lean lamb, cut into 1" chunks
- 2 small tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup nonfat plain yogurt
- ½ cup water
- Cook the spinach in boiling water until just wilted; drain. Purée in a food processor. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a 3-quart Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil. When hot, add the bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom pods. When the spices begin to sizzle, add the onions. Stirring constantly, cook until the onions turn golden brown, 7–10 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic; cook for 1 minute.
- Add the lamb and cook, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, curry, turmeric, salt, yogurt, and water. Bring to a boil, stir well, cover, and bake.
- Cook until the lamb is tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in the spinach and bake another 5 minutes until warmed through.