If you don’t like spinach, any cooked vegetable can be substituted here. Try carrots, beets, or red peppers for a different color and flavor.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups durum wheat (semolina) flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 tsp. iodized salt
- 1⁄2 cup raw spinach
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Sift together the flours and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Cook and purée the spinach.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, then thoroughly blend the eggs with the spinach, olive oil, and water.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the egg mixture. Mix together the wet and dry ingredients by hand or in a mixer with a dough hook until the dough forms into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day. Allow the dough to return to room temperature if it has rested in the refrigerator for more than 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface, then form or shape the pasta as desired.
- To cook, bring a large pot of water to a slow boil. Add the pasta and stir to prevent sticking. Cook until al dente. (Cooking times will vary depending on the size of the pasta formed.) Drain and serve as desired.