Spinach Pizza Sauce
Other green veggies, such as finely chopped cooked broccoli, watercress, or artichoke hearts, can be substituted for spinach in unexpected pizza sauce variation.
Serves: 14Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 Tbsp. finely minced scallion
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1¼ cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1½ cups steamed baby spinach, drained
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and scallion and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Whisk in heavy cream and cook until simmering.
- Whisk in Parmesan cheese, a little at a time, whisking until melted. Squeeze spinach to remove as much moisture as possible. Finely chop and add to the sauce along with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Remove from heat. Cool slightly before using in pizza recipes.