There’s no yummier way to get the iron, calcium and other goodness from spinach than this elegant, simple, savory pie.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 package (14.1 oz.) refrigerated pie crust dough
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallions
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 package (1 lb.) fresh spinach, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1⁄8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 6 oz. half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- Heat oven to 350°F. Press pie dough into a 10-inch tart pan. Fill pie dough with dried beans or pie beads. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on a rack; remove beans. Increase oven temperature to 375°F.
- Heat the scallions and butter in a skillet until they sizzle. Add spinach, nutmeg, salt, and pepper; cook until spinach is wilted. Whisk together eggs and half-and-half in a bowl. Add the spinach mixture. Sprinkle half of the cheese into the prebaked pie crust; add the spinach-egg mixture. Top with remaining cheese; bake 35 minutes, until the top is domed and beginning to brown.