Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
You can make this dressing ahead of time and refrigerate it—reheat it in the microware, then dress the salad.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. baby spinach, trimmed of coarse stems
- 6 slices bacon, chopped crosswise into julienne strips
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chives, thinly sliced
- Wash the spinach well in several changes of cold water, dry very well, then bundle in paper towels and refrigerate while preparing dressing.
- To prepare the dressing, brown the bacon in a large heavy skillet over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set it aside on paper towels to drain.
- Add the garlic to the bacon drippings in the pan and sauté over low heat for 1 minute, until soft. Mix in the vinegar, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Mound the spinach in a large heat-proof salad bowl. Pour the mixture over the spinach, sprinkle in the bacon bits and chives, and toss well to mix. Serve immediately.