Spinach and Sausage Soup with Pink Beans
This is a hearty and delicious soup. If you don’t want to work with fresh spinach, you may use frozen, chopped spinach, or even substitute escarole or kale. Some sausage is so lean that you will need to add a bit of oil when you cook it.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 oz. Italian sweet sausage, cut in bite-size chunks
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium white onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped, leaves included
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 package (10 oz.) baby spinach
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 can (13 oz.) red kidney beans, drained
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- Place the sausage in a large soup pot over high heat. Add 3⁄4 cup water and bring it to a boil; let the water boil off. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the oil to the pot. Sauté the onions, garlic, and celery for 10 minutes.
- Stir in broth, remaining water, spinach, oregano, crushed red pepper, beans, and salt. Cover and simmer the soup for 35 minutes. Serve in heated bowls.