Spinach Soup (Palak Ka Shorba)
This flavorful, Indian-style spinach soup, palak ka shorba, is flavored with fresh ginger and warm spices. It can be prepared up to 2 days in advance.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 50 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. clarified butter
- ¼ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1½ tsp. grated gingerroot
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and chopped
- ¼ tsp. turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp. red chili powder
- Table salt, to taste
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 lb. frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- In a stockpot, heat the clarified butter. Add the cumin seeds and stir-fry about 1 minute. Add the onion, ginger, and turnip; sauté for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add the turmeric, red chili powder, and salt; sauté for about 1 more minute. Add the vegetable stock and cook, covered, on medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the turnips are soft.
- Add the spinach and cook for another 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Purée the spinach soup in a blender, then reheat it. Serve immediately.