This is a nice soup whether hot or chilled. If you decide to serve it hot, the cheese will melt and meld nicely with the flavors of the soup. Fontina cheese is slightly softer than Parmesan and has an excellent flavor. You can also substitute Provolone cheese.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach or 1 bag (8 oz.) fresh baby spinach
- 1 tsp. Splenda
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3½ cups sugar-free chicken broth
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 4 tsp. Fontina cheese, grated
- Heat the olive oil in a large kettle over medium heat. Sauté the garlic and onion until soft, about 5 minutes.
- If you are using frozen spinach, thaw and squeeze the moisture out of it. If you are using fresh baby spinach, remove the stems and chop it coarsely. Add the spinach and the remaining ingredients to the pot.
- Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and serve.