Split Lentil Dumplings (Urad Dal Ke Vade)
These delightful dumplings can be served as cocktail appetizers. Traditionally they are served drenched in yogurt and topped with dollops of tamarind chutney.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 2 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup skinned and split black gram (white lentils), rinsed
- 1⁄2 tsp. fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 piece (1 inch) fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 serrano green chilies
- Table salt, to taste
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Soak the gram and fenugreek seeds together in the hot water for about 2 hours. Drain.
- In a food processor, combine the soaked gram and fenugreek, ginger, chilies, and salt. Process to a smooth batter. Add up to 2 tablespoons of water if needed. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pan or a deep fryer to 375°. Place a few tablespoons of the mixture, 1 at a time, into the oil. Make sure you do not overcrowd the pan. Deep-fry the balls until golden brown all over, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Let the oil return to temperature between batches. Continue until all the mixture is used. Serve hot.