Split Pea Soup with Smoked Sausage
The combination of chicken broth and the different meats in this soup gives it a distinctive flavor.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 9 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 2 strips bacon, diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cups dried split peas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 oz. smoked sausage, sliced
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Add the bacon and celery to the slow cooker; cover and cook on high for 10 minutes. Add the diced onion to the slow cooker; stir to mix them in with the bacon and celery. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until the onions are transparent.
- Add the diced carrots, split peas, broth, water, potatoes, and sausage to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until the peas are soft. Stir in salt and pepper and serve.