Spring Asparagus Soup
In February, the first asparagus comes in with a taste of spring. This pureed soup can also be made with other vegetables, like sugar-snap peas or baby peas.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 clove garlic, peeled minced
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. minced thyme leaves, divided
- ⅛ tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- ¼ cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- In large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add scallions, sweet onion, and garlic; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Then add potatoes; cook and stir for 5 minutes longer.
- Snap the asparagus spears and discard ends. Chop asparagus into 1" pieces and add to pot along with broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon thyme, pepper, and half-and-half. Heat until steaming. Top soup with Greek yogurt and remaining thyme.