These are also spelled Springerle. However you spell them, these crispy biscotti-like cookies have been a favorite for generations. They’re even better after a few days.
Makes: 60Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 8 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup anise seed
- Beat eggs until very light. Add sugar and continue beating. Fold in butter. Fold in sifted dry ingredients.
- Knead dough until smooth. Roll out 1⁄2 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Roll again with a springerli rolling pin, or use a cookie stamp to stamp a design in cookies. Cut cookies at borders created by springerli rolling pin.
- Sprinkle anise seed on a clean towel and place cookies on it.
- Allow to stand, uncovered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°F; bake cookies on an ungreased, metal baking sheet 12 to 15 minutes.