Squash-Bacon Mac and Cheese
Frozen cooked squash is a quick and easy way to add extra nutrition to comforting macaroni and cheese.
Serves: 8Prep: 15 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 package (16 oz.) medium shells
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 package (12 oz.) frozen cooked squash, thawed
- 12 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 10 slices cooked thick cut bacon, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter or spray a 3 quart casserole dish; set aside.
- Cook pasta 2 minutes less than package instructions; drain and set aside.
- In a 4 quart sauce pan over medium heat melt butter; whisk in flour, mustard, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes stirring constantly. Slowly add milk while whisking constantly until smooth; whisk in squash. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a bubble and is thickened. Remove from the heat and add 8 ounces of cheese; stir until melted and smooth.
- Add pasta and bacon to cheese sauce; stir gently to coat. Pour into prepared dish; top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until bubbly and cheese on top is melted.
- Refrigerate leftovers.