Squash and Sweet Potato Dumplings
Add gravy or ginger shoyu dipping sauce. Dumpling wrappers can be purchased at Asian markets.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1¾ lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1¾ lbs. butternut squash, peeled
- 1½ cups water
- 1 tsp. sweet white miso
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 50 round dumpling wrappers
- ¼ cup safflower oil
- Chop sweet potatoes and squash into small cubes. Place sweet potatoes, squash, and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Steam until vegetables are soft, about 15–20 minutes. Mash vegetables thoroughly with a masher or pass them through a food mill into a large bowl. Season with sweet white miso and lime juice.
- Place stack of wrappers on a plate and cover with a damp cloth to prevent them from drying out. Place a wrapper in the palm of one hand. Add 1 teaspoon of filling in center of wrapper. With a fingertip, dab one half of wrapper with a little water. Fold over other edge of wrapper and seal sides closed. Make 3 or 4 pleats along sealed edge. Place dumpling in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Repeat until filling is used up.
- To cook dumplings, heat oil in a skillet. Pan fry dumplings until browned on each side, about 5 minutes.