Stacked Beef Enchiladas with Avocado Cream Sauce
Stacked enchiladas are the perfect no-fuss meal for busy weeknights. In this version, ground beef, jalapeño, onion and garlic are layered in between flour tortillas with a spicy avocado cream sauce and plenty of shredded pepper jack cheese.
Serves: 8Prep: 15 minutesCook: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small jalapeño, seeds and membranes removed, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin, divided
- 1 medium avocado, pit and skin removed
- 1 cup half and half
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 16 taco-sized flour tortillas
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Grease a square 9”x9” baking dish.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet to a medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add ¼ of the chopped jalapeño, ½ cup of the onion, and 1 garlic clove. Cook until onion and garlic are softened, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a blender along with ½ tsp. salt, ½ tsp. cumin, the avocado, half and half and chicken stock. Blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return the skillet to a medium heat and add the remaining jalapeno, onion, garlic, ground beef, salt and cumin. Cook until beef is brown and veggies have softened, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and cumin.
- Ladle a little bit of sauce in the bottom of the greased baking dish. Cover with four flour tortillas. Sprinkle 1/3 of the ground beef mixture on top along with ¼ of the sauce. Sprinkle with ¼ of the cheese. Repeat two more times. For the final layer, place four tortillas on top of the ground beef, sauce and cheese, and cover in the remaining sauce, followed by the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven until hot and bubbly, about 25 minutes.