Stacked Chicken Enchilada Pie
Buy enchilada sauce in the can; it makes life a lot easier. Making it from scratch is quite involved.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- ½ cup chicken broth
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 8 soft corn tortillas (6” each)
- 1 can (20 oz.) enchilada sauce
- 1 cup Cotija cheese or ricotta salata
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- Place the chicken, broth, half of the lime juice, cumin, and salt and pepper in a small pot. Cover, and gently simmer for 40 minutes or until the chicken shreds apart easily. Shred and let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking dish with the vegetable oil.
- Place two tortillas on a oven-safe plate. Pour a thin layer of enchilada sauce on top of each tortilla. Place one-quarter of the meat on the top tortilla, spreading it out in an even layer. Repeat with remaining tortillas, sauce, and meat. Finish with a final layer of tortillas, and pour the remaining sauce over the top. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the top is brown and the dish is bubbling. Serve with fresh cilantro.