Stained Glass Cookies
If you are going to hang these pretty cookies, poke a small hole in the tops with a straw before baking.
Makes: 48 cookiesHands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 48 cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. Grandma’s molasses
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 35 hard candies in different colors
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg, molasses, and vanilla; blend well.
- Blend in dry ingredients. Chill 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Break candies into a powder. Do this easily by putting all candies of one color in a zip-top bag and pounding with a meat mallet. Repeat for each color.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to ¼" thick. Cut into desired shapes. Using small cookie cutters, cut shapes. Place cookies on baking sheets; fill cutout areas with crushed candies.
- Bake 8–10 minutes. Cool cookies completely in pans or candy will break off and separate from cookies.