Stale Bread Panzanella
A clever use for yesterdayʼs bread, this salad was originally made as a good way to stretch a penny. But it's worth it to buy fresh bread just to let it go stale for this dish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups cubed stale sourdough bread (about 2” cubes)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely minced
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ cup shredded basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp. capers, rinsed
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Mix together all the ingredients and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.