Star Anise Chicken with Rhubarb Cranberry Butter
Earthy and warming star anise and cardamom pair amazingly well with tart and slightly sweet rhubarb butter. This will be a family favorite.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large stalk rhubarb, diced
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cranberries
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground star anise
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 oz. each)
- In a small saucepan bring the rhubarb, orange juice, cranberries, honey, and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the rhubarb and cranberries soften. Use a fork to roughly break them down. Drain off any remaining liquid. Cool 30 minutes. When completely cool, mix together with butter. Roll into a log using wax paper and freeze for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, mix star anise, cardamom, remaining salt, and olive oil. Rub mixture on both sides of chicken breasts. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the breasts are browned and register 165°F with a meat thermometer.
- Serve chicken topped with discs of rhubarb cranberry butter.