Star Anise Poached Pears
This elegant dessert is easy to make. Serve the pears alone, with a dollop of whipped cream, or over ice cream. Use Anjou, Bosc, or Bartlett pears.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 medium pears, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 tsp. ground star anise
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Use a small spoon or melon baller to scoop out the seeds of each pear.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the star anise and sugar. Pour onto a plate.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, press the cut side of each pear into the sugar. Place the pear halves, sugar side down, into the skillet and cook 5 to 8 minutes or until the pears begin to brown. Add the water. Cover and simmer for 5 more minutes or until the pears are tender.
- Remove the pears to a platter.
- Reduce the water-sugar mixture remaining in the skillet until syrupy, about 2 minutes, and pour over pears.