Steak au Poivre with Dijon Cream Sauce
Coating your steak with mustard makes for a very flavorful sear.
- 2 pounds sirloin steaks, 1/2-3/4" thick
- 1⁄3 cup Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons black peppercorns, coarsely ground
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup shallots, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Season steaks with salt. Spread mustard evenly on each side of steaks. Press pepper evenly on each side of steaks.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks and cook 5 minutes, turn and cook until meat thermometer reaches 135°F for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to a plate and tent with foil.
- Add shallots and garlic to skillet and sauté 15 seconds. Stir in broth, wine, then cream and 1 tablespoon mustard. Boil until thickened, about 2 minutes. Pour over steaks.