Using store-bought pie crusts and left over steak will give you a head start in making this delectable steak pie. To make the rich filling: sauté onion and mushrooms, simmer in beef broth, and pour into the pie crust with the steak. Cover with another pie crust and bake until bubbly and golden.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 pre-made pie crusts, uncooked
- 3 cups cooked steak, cut into cubes
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Press 1 pie crust into 9-inch pie plate. Scatter cooked beef over bottom of crust.
- Sauté onion in butter for 7 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes, stirring. Sprinkle with flour and stir to blend. Slowly add the broth, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. If mixture is too thick, add 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 cup hot water to thin. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture over beef in pie shell. Place the 2nd pie crust over the beef mixture. Pinch the edges of the two crusts together. Trim, leaving 1 inch of dough hanging over the edge of pie plate. Crimp edges and cut 4 slits into center of pie crust to allow steam to escape while baking.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden.