Steak and Potato Potpie
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. boneless sirloin steak, cut into 1⁄4-by-2-inch strips
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups beef broth, divided
- 1⁄4 tsp. minced thyme
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat; add the beef, and stir-fry until no longer pink. Transfer steak to a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, carrots, onion, and garlic to the skillet; cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth, scraping up any browned bit from bottom of skillet. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low, add the thyme and pepper, and simmer for 1 minute. Add to the bowl with the meat and gently combine.
- Divide the meat mixture into 6 large oven-safe ramekins. Divide the potatoes into six 1⁄2 cup portions, and place on top of the meat mixture, using an ice cream scoop or a large spoon.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are lightly browned.