If you prefer not to cook this on a stovetop, you can set a rack in your oven 8" from the broiler and cook for 5–7 minutes on each side.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ lbs. flank or skirt steak
- 1 tsp. plus 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. plus 1 pinch salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 large Spanish onions, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 French baguettes
- Trim any fat or silver skin from the steak. Rub 1 teaspoon of olive oil over the steak and season on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Place a grill pan over medium-high heat. Once it’s heated, cook the beef on each side for 6–8 minutes. Once the steak is cooked through, place it on a plate and keep it warm for 10 minutes.
- At the same time, place a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the onions. Add a pinch of salt. Cook for 12–15 minutes, or until they’ve softened but aren’t turning brown.
- Stir the tomato sauce, sugar, and Worcestershire sauce into the skillet and cook for 5 minutes. The sauce should reduce slightly. Slice the meat on a deep angle and add it to the skillet, along with any juices on the cutting board.
- Cut the baguettes into sections and slice the bread horizontally to make a sandwich. Fill each section with meat, onions, and sauce. Serve while warm.