Steak with Yogurt and Mushrooms
Similar to Stroganoff, this recipe is perfect for entertaining. Serve it with a spinach salad, some dinner rolls warm from the oven, and an apple pie.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. boneless round steak
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 package (8 oz.) sliced mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp. water
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- ¼ cup fat-free beef broth
- 3 cups hot cooked egg noodles
- Trim off excess fat from the steak and slice against the grain into ¼-inch strips. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 4 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl combine tomato paste, water, basil, cornstarch, yogurt, and broth and mix with wire whisk until blended. Add to skillet and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until sauce thickens. Serve immediately over hot cooked noodles.