Steamed Clams with Cilantro-Garlic Essence
Be sure you put an empty bowl on the table for the shells.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 dozen littleneck clams
- ½ cup unsalted whipped butter, well chilled and cut into pieces
- ½ tsp. whole black peppercorns
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 large lemon, sliced
- Scrub the clams well under cold running water. Discard any clams with open or partially open shells. Place the clams in a large heavy pot along with ½ cup water and all the remaining ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and cook over high heat for 6 to 8 minutes, shaking the pot back and forth every so often to cook the clams evenly. Remove from heat when the clam shells open up.
- Discard any clams that do not open. Transfer the clams to 4 large soup bowls and pour the broth over them. Serve immediately.