Stewed Pepper and Tomato Purée
Spoon 1 or 2 tablespoons on the center of a dinner plate before serving with a simple grilled or roasted meat or fish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 red bell peppers
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- Quarter the peppers; cut off the stems, and remove the seeds and the inner membrane. Chop the peppers into large pieces.
- Heat the oil on medium-high in a nonstick sauté pan; stew the peppers with the garlic over low heat until very soft. Season with salt and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Transfer the peppers and garlic to a food processor or blender; process until puréed. Return the pepper mixture to the sauté pan and add the tomato sauce and tomato paste; stir to mix, and bring to a light simmer. Serve hot.