Sticky Rice in Cabbage Leaves
Don’t like cabbage? You can also wrap the sticky rice in aluminum foil or waxed paper before steaming.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 3 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup short-grain (sticky) rice
- 2 cups water
- 4 large Savoy cabbage leaves
- 4 dried mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 Tbsp. chicken broth or stock
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 slices ginger, finely chopped
- 4 Chinese pork sausages, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Cover the sticky rice in warm water and let soak for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. Drain well.
- In a medium-size saucepan, bring the rice and 2 cups of water to a boil. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Remove from the heat and let cool for 15 minutes. Fluff up the rice before removing from the pot. Split the rice into 4 equal portions and set aside.
- Blanch the cabbage leaves in boiling water. Drain thoroughly. Soak the dried mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes to soften. Drain, giving a gentle squeeze to remove any excess water. Cut into thin slices.
- In a small bowl, combine the oyster sauce, rice wine, and chicken broth.
- Add the oil to a preheated wok or skillet. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and ginger. Stir-fry briefly until aromatic. Add the sausage. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms. Stir in the green onions. Make a well in the middle of the wok and add the sauce, bringing to a boil. Mix everything together, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Split the filling into 4 equal portions. Take a cabbage leaf and add a quarter of the rice and the filling, layering it so that there is rice at the top and bottom, with the meat and vegetable filling in the middle. Roll up the cabbage leaf. Repeat with the remaining 3 cabbage leaves.
- Steam the cabbage wraps, covered, on a heatproof plate in a bamboo steamer for 15 minutes, or until done.