Stifado (Braised Beef with Onions)
If you cannot find pearl onions then use the smallest onions you can find to prepare this dish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs. stewing beef, cubed
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 16 pearl onions, peeled
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Add olive oil to large pot. Heat to medium-high; add meat and brown well on all sides by stirring continuously so meat does not stick to bottom of pot.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato paste with 2 cups water. Add to pot with vinegar, onions, garlic, cloves, cinnamon, oregano, salt, and pepper; mix well and turn heat to high. Bring to boil.
- Cover and turn reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 1 hour.