Stir-Fried Peas with Rice (Mattar Wale Chawal)
This fragrant rice dish is delicious with Indian curries as well as with roasted or grilled meats or fish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (1”)
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 cups water
- Rinse the rice at least 3 to 4 times with water. Drain and set aside.
- In a deep pan, heat the vegetable oil. Add the cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, and bay leaf. When the spices begin to sizzle, add the peas; sauté for 1 minute. Add the salt and rice; mix well.
- Add the water and stir for 1 minute to get rid of any lumps of rice. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat. Loosely cover with a lid and cook for about 12 to 15 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated. You will see small craters forming on top of the rice.
- Cover tightly and reduce the heat to the lowest setting; simmer for another 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.