Stovetop Italian Meatballs
Getting meatballs to cook through evenly in the frying pan can be a challenge. One trick is to shake the pan during cooking to help the meatballs retain their round shape. If that doesnʼt work, finish the meatballs off by simmering in beef broth.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 3⁄4 lbs. ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup crushed soda crackers
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, smashed, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 tsp. olive oil, divided
- In a large bowl, use your hands to mix together the ground beef, crushed crackers, onion, Parmesan cheese, and garlic. Mix in 3 teaspoons water. Continue adding water 1 teaspoon at a time as needed until the mixture is lightly moistened—not too dry or too wet.
- Form the mixture into balls approximately 1 1⁄2 inches in diameter.
- Melt 2 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium heat in a frying pan. Add half the meatballs and cook for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until the meatballs are cooked through. Remove the meatballs with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels to drain. Clean out the frying pan, add the remaining olive oil, and cook the remaining meatballs.