Strawberries and Cream Puffs
Cream puffs happen to be a popular dessert in Japan. They’re called shu creams, which sounds a lot like choux pastry and cream.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk, scalded
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup water
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- Make pastry cream: whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and egg yolks in a saucepan. Very slowly, add scalding milk to the pan, whisking constantly. Keep whisking until the mixture is smooth and very thick. Remove from heat. Slowly stir in butter and vanilla. Keep stirring regularly until mixture cools, then cover and chill 1 hour.
- While the cream cools, make the cream puffs: In a saucepan, bring butter and water to a rapid boil. Add flour and salt to saucepan and stir until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat.
- Place pastry ball in a large bowl. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating each in with a mixer on medium speed until blended. With a large spoon, drop 24 mounds of dough on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake puffs at 400ºF for 20 minutes. Tops should be browned and interiors dry. Let cool completely.
- Mix strawberries with sugar and set aside for 20 minutes. Fill puffs with pastry cream. (Slit puffs with a knife and spoon in filling or use a pastry bag.) Spoon strawberries over puffs and serve.