Strawberries with Coconut Shortcake
This is like classic strawberry shortcake—without as much refined sugar! This version of the classic dessert is much easier to digest.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. strawberries, sliced
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut sugar, divided
- 6 large eggs
- ½ tsp. all-natural sea salt
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup coconut cream, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Combine strawberries and ¼ cup coconut sugar and let sit while making shortcakes.
- In a medium bowl, mix coconut oil, eggs, remaining coconut sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Add coconut flour and baking soda and stir to make a batter. Pour into prepared muffin pan, filling each cup about halfway.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove shortcakes from pan and let cool on a wire rack for 10–15 minutes.
- Cut shortcakes in half. Spoon ¼ cup strawberries with their juice on bottom halves and replace shortcake tops. Top shortcakes with more strawberries and 2 tablespoons coconut cream. Serve.