Homemade bagels come together easily, just set aside some time to allow them to rise and you’ll have a delicious Valentine’s Day breakfast.
Serves: 8Prep: 2 hoursCook: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water (110°F-115°F)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, plus more if needed
- 1⁄2 cup strawberries, diced
- Red or pink gel food coloring
- 1 egg white + 1 Tbsp. water
- Strawberry cream cheese spread, to serve
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the hook attachment, combine water, yeast and sugar. Allow to sit 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift together salt, bread flour and whole wheat flour. Stir in flour mixture to yeast mixture. Turn out onto a floured surface. Knead for about 5 minutes, adding extra flour as needed. Gently knead in the strawberries.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and place in a warm area. Allow to rise about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough to release any air bubbles, add food coloring and knead until combined. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Press index finger through the center of each ball to make a hole about 1”-2” in diameter. Loosely cover the bagels with a kitchen towel and allow to rest about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Fill a large pot about ½ full of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-high. Drop bagels into water, 2-4 at a time. Cook the bagels about 30 seconds on each side.
- Brush the bagels with the egg wash and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve with cream cheese.