Pretty in pink and tasting of strawberries! This is a wonderful cake for a birthday celebration.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup plus 1 Tbsp. soymilk, divided
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup canola oil
- 2 tsp. red food coloring
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups puréed strawberries, divided
- ¾ cup vegetable shortening
- ¼ cup vegan margarine, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine 1 cup soymilk and vinegar in a medium bowl. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to thicken. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Add oil, food coloring, vanilla extract, and 1 ¼ cup pureed strawberries to the soymilk mixture, whisking to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture, stirring gently until there are no large lumps. Divide batter evenly between 2 greased and floured 8" round cake pans.
- Bake for 25–35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cakes.
- To make frosting, add remaining ½ cup pureed strawberries, shortening, margarine, and 2 cups confectioners' sugar. Beat on medium speed until blended. Beat in 2 more cups powdered sugar until smooth.
- Cool cakes 10–15 minutes in the pans. Run knife around the edge of the cakes to loosen and carefully remove from pans. Place one cake on a serving platter and spread a layer of frosting over the top. Place the second cake on top and frost the top and sides of the cake. Garnish with fresh strawberries.