Strawberry Chiffon Pie
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 pint strawberries, crushed
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup cold water
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 cups whipped cream, divided
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 prepared 9" graham cracker crust
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- Cover crushed strawberries with ½ cup sugar and let stand for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, soften the gelatin in the cold water. Add the hot water and stir to dissolve. Let cool. Add the crushed strawberries, lemon juice, and salt. Chill 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Fold in 1 cup whipped cream.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining ¼ cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the strawberry mixture. Pour into the crust. Chill 2 hours until firm.
- Top with remaining whipped cream and sliced strawberries before serving.