Strawberry Crumble Bars
This is a rich, decadent bar, combining ripe, sweet strawberries with a buttery cookie crust and a brown sugar–oatmeal crumble topping. You may want to keep these all for yourself!
Serves: 16Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup cold vegan margarine
- 1⁄4 plus 1⁄3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups halved strawberries
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup oats
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 cup melted vegan margarine
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream cold margarine and 1⁄4 cup sugar. Add 1 cup flour and combine. Press into a greased 8-by-8-inch pan and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool.
- While crust cools, combine strawberries, 1⁄3 cup sugar, orange juice, cornstarch, and lemon juice in a heavy saucepan. Simmer over low heat about 4 to 5 minutes until thickened, stirring frequently. Spread mixture over cooled crust.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining 3⁄4 cup flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add melted margarine and combine. Spread evenly over strawberry filling. Bake 30 to 35 minutes at 350°F. Cool completely then cut into squares.