These cupcakes are a triple strawberry hit with strawberry cake, strawberry glaze, and strawberry frosting. You won’t be able to resist them!
Serves: 14Hands-on: 1 hourTotal: 2 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tsp. soy milk, divided
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. red food coloring
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups puréed strawberries, divided
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 6 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 7 fresh strawberries, halved
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine 1 cup soy milk and vinegar in a medium bowl. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to thicken. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Add oil, food coloring, vanilla extract, and 3⁄4 cup strawberry puree to the soy milk mixture, whisking to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture, stirring gently until there are no large lumps. Pour batter into paper-lined cupcake pans until 3⁄4 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcakes. Allow to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- To make glaze, pour 1⁄2 cup strawberry puree into a small saucepan. Add water, cornstarch, and remaining granulated sugar and whisk until well blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Cool completely.
- To make frosting, add remaining pureed strawberries, shortening, margarine, and 1 cup confectioners' sugar to a large bowl. Beat on medium speed until blended. Beat in remaining confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- To fill, cut a small core from the top center of each cupcake. Place 1 to 2 tablespoons of glaze in each cupcake. Trim the core pieces to fit and use them to cover the hole in each cupcake. Frost cupcakes and top with a halved fresh strawberry.