Strawberry Hand Pies
A perfect way to treat yourself (or anyone else) any time of the day, these adorable strawberry hand pies are flaky on the outside and sweet and juicy on the inside.
Serves: 12Prep: 1 hour 30 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup solid vegetable shortening, cut into cubes
- 1⁄4 cup cold milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup Strawberry Jam
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tsp. water
- Coarse sugar, to finish
- Preheat oven to 425°F; line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt. Add shortening; use pastry blender to cut it into flour until mixture has coarse crumbs.
- In glass measuring cup, combine milk, egg yolk and vinegar. Stir into flour mixture, using your hands to gently knead dough in bowl until no loose flour remains. Transfer dough to floured surface; divide in half. Form each half into a square. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Roll each half to a 10”x15” rectangle; trim edges straight. Use ruler and pizza cutter to cut 6 squares (5” each). Transfer squares to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- In bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and cornstarch. Toss in strawberries to coat. On half of each dough square, spread about 1 tablespoon preserves; spoon bit of strawberry mixture on top.
- Brush egg wash around perimeter of each square; fold dough over filling and press to seal. Press fork tines on 3 sides of each pie to crimp. Cut 3 slashes into top crust of each pie. Brush tops with egg wash; sprinkle liberally with coarse sugar.
- Bake 25–30 minutes, rotating baking sheets halfway through baking, until pies are nicely browned. Store, loosely covered, at room temperature.