Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches
If you don’t have access to the dark cocoa called for in this recipe, you can use any good-quality cocoa. The flavor may not be as intense, but it will still be very good.
Serves: 18Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 9 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. cold espresso
- ½ cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 cups strawberry ice cream, softened
- Cream butter, shortening, and sugars. When mixture is very light and fluffy, add egg and coffee; blend well.
- Sift cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, and salt together; stir into butter mixture. Blend well. Knead together until smooth and dough is very stiff. Wrap and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough out on floured surface; cut into rounds or any desired shape. Transfer to prepared baking sheets. Bake 6–8 minutes. Cool completely.
- Spoon softened ice cream generously on flat side of 1 cookie. Top with another cookie, flat side down. Press down gently. Wrap and freeze at least 1 hour before serving.