Strawberry Lemon Crepes
It’s hard to believe there is a way to improve strawberries and cream, but this dessert is a strong contender.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 3 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 Tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 Tbsp. strawberry jam
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Combine 3 tablespoons sugar and lemon zest on a cutting board and mince it finely, until it becomes bright yellow sugar. (You can also do this job in a food processor).
- In a blender, combine the lemon sugar with eggs, flour, milk, water, and salt; mix to the consistency of thin cream. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Heat a nonstick pan over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter, let it sizzle, then add enough batter to thinly coat the bottom of the pan. Cook, swirling the pan, 1 minute. Flip and cook the other side 1 minute, until golden brown. Turn onto a plate, and repeat with remaining batter and butter. Additional butter is not necessary with each crepe, unless they start to stick.
- In a small bowl, combine berries, jam, and honey, and toss to combine. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine cream, remaining sugar, and vanilla. Whip with a whisk or an electric mixer, watching carefully as the cream begins to stiffen. Stop when it reaches soft peaks.
- To serve, fill each crepe with 1⁄4 cup berry mixture, roll up to conceal the filling, and top with whipped cream mixture.