Serve this summery dessert with a dollop of Greek yogurt sweetened with honey or a scoop of vanilla ice milk.
Serves: 9Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- 2 cups thickly sliced strawberries
- 1⁄4 tsp. lemon zest
- 3⁄4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 3⁄4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 1⁄2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 2 Tbsp. egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray an 8-by-8-inch casserole dish lightly with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, lemon zest, and 3⁄4 cup sugar. Dissolve the cornstarch in water and pour over the fruit, stirring to combine. Place the fruit mixture in the prepared casserole dish.
- Sift together the flour, remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, ginger, baking powder, and salt. Add the oil, milk, and egg whites. Stir the dough together until just mixed, then drop it by spoonfuls over the fruit.
- Bake the cobbler until the fruit becomes tender and the dough turns golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.