Strawberry Shortcake Bake
Lighter and quicker to bake than traditional shortcakes, this fruity favorite is an everyday dessert that’s easy enough to enjoy often. You can use fresh or frozen strawberries.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 box (18 oz.) yellow cake mix plus ingredients called for on box
- 1 package (5.1 oz.) instant vanilla pudding plus milk called for on box
- 3 cups strawberries, mashed
- 1 tub (12 oz.) nondairy whipped topping
- Prepare and bake cake according to package instructions for two round layer pans. Allow to cool completely.
- Lay cooled cake layers on a clean, flat surface. Mark the middle of the cake layer with toothpicks. With toothpicks as your guide, slice layer horizontally, using a few slow, even strokes of a serrated knife. Carefully remove top layer to a clean, flat surface. Repeat this process with the second layer to create four layers total.
- Mix pudding according to instructions on the package. In a large glass bowl, alternate layers of cake, strawberries, and pudding.
- Top with a generous helping of nondairy whipped topping.