A chocolate surprise hides within this traditional pastry cream tart.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 9 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 1¼ cups plus 2 tsp. all-purpose all-purpose flour, divided
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- ½ cup butter, chilled and cut into ¼" cubes
- 1 large egg yolk, chilled
- 1 tsp. heavy cream, chilled
- ½ Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 large egg yolk, slightly beaten
- ½ cup whole milk, warmed to room temperature
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp. almond extract
- ½ cup grated semisweet chocolate
- ½ cup apricot preserves
- 2 Tbsp. Grand Marnier
- 1 Tbsp. superfine sugar
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- Place 1¼ cups flour and ¼ cup sugar in a food processor and pulse it a few times. Add in the butter and process until the mixture resembles cornmeal. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and heavy cream. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, and process until a ball forms. On a lightly floured surface, flatten into a disk, seal in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Press the dough into a lightly buttered 9½" fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown, and set aside to cool.
- Sift together the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, remaining 1 tablespoon flour, and cornstarch. Whisk in the egg yolk, beating until smooth and light. Set aside.
- Bring the milk to a boil in a stainless steel saucepan. Slowly pour the hot milk into the egg yolk, whisking until all the milk is incorporated. Pour the mixture into the saucepan and, stirring continuously, bring to a simmer over medium heat. Continue stirring for 1 minute. Remove from heat and mix in the vanilla and almond extracts. Set aside to cool. Fold in the grated chocolate.
- Make the glaze by combining the apricot preserves, Grand Marnier, and superfine sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a simmer over a medium heat, stirring continuously. Remove from heat. Using a pastry brush, coat the inside of the tart shell with the preserves. Set aside.
- Spread the pastry cream in the tart shell. Arrange the sliced strawberries on the pastry cream. Brush the strawberries with the remaining apricot glaze and serve.