Crunchy and sweet, this dish is perfect with vegan vanilla ice cream or as a decadent weekend breakfast.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 cup pecan halves
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. cold vegan margarine
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toast pecans in a dry pan over medium-low heat until aromatic and lightly browned, stirring often. Let the pecans cool, then finely chop. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries, granulated sugar, and cornstarch. Pour into a greased 8-by-8-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine flour, brown sugar, nutmeg, and salt. Cut margarine into pieces and add to processor. Pulse until mixture becomes small crumbles. Add pecans and pulse for a few seconds more. Then spread in an even layer over the berries.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the top is golden brown.