Stuffed Curried Turkey Onions
Stuffing an onion with spinach and quinoa salad, then wrapping it in turkey bacon is an innovative way to wow party guests with spectacular presentation and great flavors.
Serves: 12Prep: 30 minutesCook: 50 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa
- 1⁄4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 can (15 oz.) Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, minced
- 2 large onions
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 48 small spinach leaves
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 24 slices Turkey Bacon
- In a medium saucepan, combine water and quinoa; cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer 10 minutes until quinoa is tender and water is gone. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar. Stir in basil, curry powder, salt, pepper, mustard and sugar until blended. Add beans, carrot, red onion and cooled quinoa; stir gently to mix.
- Grease grill grates. Prepare grill to medium-low heat.
- Cut large onions in half from stem to stem. Carefully peel layers, separating into 24 largest onion “petals” and keeping same-size petals together. Save any remaining onion for later use.
- Line each onion petal with 2 spinach leaves; fill each with about 1½ ounces turkey (smaller petals will need less), pressing down to fit petal. Fill each half with 3-4 tablespoons quinoa mixture. Press ¼ ounce cheese into 1 of each filled onion petal pair. Top with cheese-free onion petal. Wrap each with 2 slices bacon, securing with wooden picks.
- Place onions on grill; cover. Reduce heat to low. Grill 30-40 minutes until onion is tender and filling is cooked through.