Stuffed Eggplant with Ricotta and Spices
This dish is also known as Eggplant Sicilian. It freezes beautifully and is very delicious.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled, cut into 16 round slices (8 slices each) and salted
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Stack the salted eggplant slices on a plate and put another plate with a weight on top to press the brown liquid out of them. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Mix the flour and pepper and use it for dredging the eggplant slices.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic 1 minute, then remove garlic slices from the oil with a slotted spoon. Fry eggplant about 2 minutes per side, removing to paper towels as they are browned.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare a 2-quart casserole dish or a 10-by-10-inch glass pan with nonstick spray and spread with a thin layer of tomato sauce.
- In a large bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, 1⁄4 cup Parmesan, egg, basil, and oregano. Place a tablespoon of the egg-cheese mixture on each slice of eggplant and roll, placing seam-side down in the baking dish.
- Spread with remaining tomato sauce, sprinkle with the rest of the Parmesan cheese and the mozzarella cheese, and bake for 35 minutes.