Stuffed Greek-Style Calamari
Purchase cleaned squid. It is a bit more expensive than “dirty” squid, but saves on cleanup time and mess.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- ¾ lb. cleaned squid tubes
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ small white onion, minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cooked and cooled long-grain white rice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 cups chunky tomato sauce
- 4 Tbsp. fresh basil, sliced thin
- Separate the tentacles and tubes. Chop the tentacles finely and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a small sauté pan on medium. Add the onion, chopped tentacles, oregano, and salt and pepper. Sauté for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the cooked rice, egg, and lemon juice to the onion-squid mixture. Mix well, and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Stuff this mixture inside the squid tubes. Secure the open ends with toothpicks to prevent the stuffing from escaping when cooking.
- Place the squid in a small pot. Pour the tomato sauce over the squid. Partially cover, and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Top with basil, and serve in plenty of the sauce.