Stuffed Green Peppers
You can swap the green peppers in this recipe for red peppers or yellow peppers if you prefer the taste, but keep in mind that this will change the carbohydrate count.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 medium green bell peppers
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 4 slices cooked sugar-free bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut tops off of bell peppers and remove seeds. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté onion and garlic until transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef to skillet and cook until browned. Add bacon, breadcrumbs, and Italian seasoning and combine.
- Stuff each pepper with 1⁄4 of meat mixture and stand peppers upright in a baking dish. Bake for 50 minutes or until meat reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Turn oven to broil and sprinkle cheese on top of meat mixture. Broil for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly and peppers start to char. Remove from oven and serve over marinara sauce.